» Work+Money » Work »

How do I apply for a Chinese criminal record check, and when do I need one?

When you get a job on the Chinese mainland some employers may ask you to present a criminal record check for the period you have stayed in the country. This may happen when you apply for jobs in big companies, state-owned enterprises and some schools. Note that this is for Chinese criminal record checks – for checks from foreign countries, see this article.


How to apply

Foreigners can go to the Exit & Entry Office of their local Public Security Bureau (the main office, not just the smaller police stations) and apply for a criminal record check. In some cities the notarization bureau may be in a separate building nearby, but the Exit & Entry Office staff should be able to help you locate it. For a list of Entry & Exit Bureaus for the four first-tier cities, see the bottom of the article.

You should make sure you bring following material with you when you go to the office:

  1. Original and photocopy of your passport and residence permit. If you have changed passports since you came to China, bring the original passports and photocopies of them (if possible – otherwise your check will only be able to start at the beginning of your new passport).
  2. Photocopies of all Chinese visas and all exit and entry stamps that you have received from the Chinese airport customs officials. 
  3. A letter from your new company, with the company chop (stamp) confirming that they are hiring you and that they need to confirm your criminal record (or hopefully your lack of criminal record).

Normally it will take 5-15 working days for your application to be processed – the people processing it should be able to give you an estimate. The process tends to move faster in larger cities.



Chinese law regulates that each city can charge a different amount for their criminal record checks. The cost to obtain the certificate may vary from 10-300 yuan


Exit and Entry Administration Office addresses

The addresses of the offices in the four first-tier cities are as follows: 


Exit and Entry Administration Office of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau, 2 Dong Dajie, Andingmen, Dongcheng district


Contact: 010-8402-0101, www.bjgaj.gov.cn/idn/index.jsp

Hours: Mon-Sat, 8:30 am-4:30 pm



Exit and Entry Administration Department of Public Security Bureau of Guangdong Province

Address: Guangzhou Exit and Entry Administration Building, 155 Jiefang Nan Lu


Contact: 020-8311-1000, 020-8311-1895, 020-8311-1896, 020-8392-2616, 020-8392-2617, www.gdcrj.com

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9 am-12 noon; 2 pm-5 pm, 


Exit and Entry Administration Bureau of Shanghai Public Security Bureau, 1500 Minsheng Lu, Pudong New Area 


Contact: 021-2895-1900, http://crj.police.sh.cn

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9 am-4:30 pm; Sat, 9 am-11:30am; 1:30 pm-4:30 pm


Exit and Entry Administration of Shenzhen Public Security Bureau, 4018 Jie Fang Lu, Luohu district


Contact: 0755-8446-5459 or 0755-8446-5490 or 0755-9500-0100, www.szga.gov.cn

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9 am-6 pm


Useful Chinese words and phrases

犯罪记录证明 fànzuì jìlù zhèngmíng Criminal record check
出入境管理办公室 chūrùjìng guǎnlǐ bàngōngshì Exit & Entry Office
公安局 gōng ān jú Public Security Bureau
护照 hùzhào Passport
居留许可 jūliú xǔkě Residence permit


Similar Posts:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>