» Leisure » Legal »

How can I find out if I’ve been blacklisted from China?

Image by Rocket000

Being deported from China is not as direct as you might expect – you won’t be accompanied by armed guards to a plane, or bundled into the back of a boat. You might even leave the country expecting that you’ll be able to go back… only to find, years later, that you’ve been blacklisted.

So how can you find out? Well if you’ve not left China yet then you can check at the Entry and Exit Administration of your local municipal PSB. This is the big building where people go to get their visas sorted; you can find the addresses of the four top-tier-city PSBs at the bottom of this article. 

Take your passport when you make your enquiry and they should be able to tell you – they keep records of all foreigners’ entry and exit details, and have the right to decide whether put a person on a blacklist according to law.

If you are outside of China then things are much harder. You could get a friend in the city to go on your behalf, taking with them a photocopy of your passport, their own passport, and a signed paper saying that you are allowing them to find out this information on your behalf. However, this method is not guaranteed.


What can get me blacklisted from China?

The government hasn’t made any official announcements about what constitutes a blacklist-worthy offence, but there are certain blacklistable occasions that are more common than others; a list is given below. Outside of the following, just make a point of sticking to the law. 

A partial list of potentially blacklistable offences:

  1. Overstaying your visa
  2. Entering the country illegally
  3. Cheating the visa office to get visas, such as providing fake information
  4. Using a forged visa or passport
  5. Working or doing business illegally, such as working on a L visa or Q visa
  6. Posing threat to the national security of China, such as engaging in spying or terrorist activities
  7. Being a threat to public security, such as engaging in the drug trade or being part of a criminal syndicate
  8. Being put in jail for criminal activities
  9. Being a suspect of a criminal or civil case


Similar Posts:

10 Responses to How can I find out if I’ve been blacklisted from China?

  • I used an agent to get my Z visa quite recently. She had me working for school B, while she got me registered with school A. When I tried renewing my visa using another agency, the PSB called me in to inquire about all my work details. I told them I was working for school B. They said I was working illegally and that ignorance didn’t acquit me. I was given 10 days to leave China(without a star) and I was told that I could apply for a new visa back in my home country and return to China. However when I applied for a visa at the Chinese embassy in my home country I got a rejection with a red stamp on my passport. I asked the embassy what the reason was and for how long have I been blacklisted but they said they werent allowed to say. A friend of mine has a friend working at the entry exit administration bureau in Beijing; he said that the PSB hasn’t blacklisted me but most probably the Chinese Ministry of Foreign affairs has me on their ‘blacklist’. So my question is, is that even possible? And how can I find for how long I have been blacklisted if neither the embassy nor the PSB can tell me?

  • In my case, was I denied entry or deported ? Due to language barrier and their lack of English, I am not sure if I was deported or denied entry… Please advise.

  • Hi.
    I bought a plane ticket from Dfw Pvg Dfw (simple round trip, no transit visa since its not transit)
    I arrived in Pvg at 2 pm and my flight back was 3 hours later. I was just turning back from Pvg in 3 hours.
    However they deported (escorted me to the plane) . I think it was a misunderstanding, I never intended to “enter” Pvg but rather to earn airline miles by flying round trip.
    1) Do u think I am blacklisted for 10 years?
    2) If so, how can I resolve the issue? I can not wait for 10 years.

  • My visa was cancelled and I went to the psb, I’ve been give 20 days deportation. Can I come to China again..its say ( permitted to stay until 30 October 2015) (deported )

  • Hi
    I entered China last March for the purpose of study, but my visa was M Visa, unfortunately the police in the airport figured out that I am coming for study not for business so they cancelled my visa as well as the entry stamp.

    Now I want to come china with x visa , do you think I am blacklisted ?

    Best regards

  • Great information, I was just detained becuse my agent lied to me. I was given my Foreign Expert License to a school by the Name New World Kindergarten in Shijinshan District, well it happens that I work for a shoot off branch, but my FEL is register to their headquarters, so the police came detained us for working illegally, but we ecplain it to them the situation they apperently let us go and not deported us, now the school does not want to pay our monthly salary, and the agency has avoided to pay our 5000 RMB fine which promised to pay. Now I had to borrow some money and I ma late 2 days from paying my fine, will Ibe in more trouble? What are the xonsequences for not paying the fine on time?

  • Hi.
    If a person got expelled from school with * visa of 10 days deportation
    So the person can again apply through chinese embassy to get visa or not?

    • Hi Ali. We are sorry to hear that you were expelled and deported. Unfortunately, if you were truly deported, you will not be allowed to return to China within 10 years. This means that even if you apply a visa in a Chinese embassy your application will be denied.

      However, there are two sort of forced leave in China: being deported and being “ordered to leave”. Generally speaking, if you were “ordered to leave” you can apply for a new visa after two years (you may wish to check your exact details with a Chinese embassy), while you must wait 10 years if you were deported. For more information on deportation and being ordered to leave, you can see this article. Good luck!

      • Is there a difference between being ordered to leave and deportation. I knew there were two types of deportation in China, one where you were escorted to the airport and made to leave or simply given a 10 day deportation visa. I was give the 10 day deportation visa due to my scummy company lying on my z visa application so I really want to find out if I’ll ever be allowed back.

        • Hi Mike. Yes there are two types of deportation in China. Being “ordered to leave” means that you are given a fixed period in which to leave China, and will most likely be banned from re-entering for two years. 

          Being deported means you have been fully blacklisted and will not be allowed to come back to the country for least ten years. For more information on deportation and being ordered to leave, you can see this article

          It is not clear yet which type of deportation you have been given, although it sounds like you were only ordered to leave. It would be a good idea to check your exact details with a Chinese embassy before you file for a visa application. Alternatively, this article gives another method for finding out if you’ve been deported, even if you’re outside the country (although it’s not guaranteed to succeed – the authorities might still decline to give out that information). Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>