» Leisure » Legal »

How can I get a Chinese Certificate of No Criminal Record from outside China?


Photo by Beijing Patrol

If you left China and now need a certificate to prove that you did not get into trouble while you were out here – perhaps because you have taken up a teaching job – you have something of an uphill struggle to get it sorted out. If you are planning to return to China you could use this guide, but it’s unlikely you will want to fly all the way out to China and going to the Entry and Exit Bureau of your city’s main Public Security Bureau (PSB) in person. 

However, the only alternative will involve you mailing your actual passport to a friend in China to get the document on your behalf. This is ill-advised for all the obvious reasons. 


Required documents

Nevertheless, if you want to get the document from outside China, you will need to make sure that your friend – your good, trustworthy friend – has the following documents:

  1. Your passport and a photocopy of your passport’s information page(s). If you have changed passports since you first came to China then your friend will need your older passports as well, as police checks can only begin from the start of whichever passports you give them. Possibly your current employer will only care about your most recent passport; ask them.
  2. A stamped notice from the police confirming that you were resident in China for the given period. This means that your friend will have to go to the PSB in which you registered (the one you went to whenever you re-entered China and came back to your apartment or house) and ask them for a stamped record of your residence. If you lived in several different areas of a city, your friend can just go to the last one you registered at, as city PSBs share their data. However, if you have lived in multiple cities and your school wants statements for your whole time in China, not just for a particular city, your friend will need to go to the last PSBs you were signed in at in each city. These documents will need to be notarized at a Chinese notarization office.
  3. Photocopies of all Chinese visas and exit and entry stamps in your passport(s). 
  4. A letter from your last company with its chop/stamp, saying how long you worked for them and that during your time at the company you did nothing to break the law. If you do not have such a letter, contact your company and see if they will give a copy to your friend.
  5. Your friend will also need to their own identification, whether that is their Chinese identity card or, if they are from another country or region, their passport and residence permit. They will also need a photocopy of their ID.
  6. A letter from you (in Chinese or English) saying that they are at the police station on your behalf.

Once your friend has all of these documents, he or she should take them to the Entry and Exit Bureau of your last local police station to get the Certificate of No Criminal Record.


Similar Posts:

One Response to How can I get a Chinese Certificate of No Criminal Record from outside China?

  • Three and a half years ago, I was stopped by a policeman in Pennsylvania, the United States, for disorderly conduct. I and two friends were walking and singing late at night. We pled guilty to the charge, which was NOT a Criminal charge, BUT was ONLY a Summary charge. NOT CRIMINAL. The state code says that the summary charge is equivalent to a parking ticket. I paid a small fine. I have had no other problems with the law in my life. I recently was offered a teaching job in Yunnan, and told them about case, sent them state copies of my “criminal history record,” and was turned down for a foreign expert certificate. How do I appeal this, how do I send them a copy of the law, how do I show them that I was NOT a criminal?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>