How do I get a Hong Kong student visa?

Photo by fohkeung

Student visas are issued to people who wish to enter the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) for study. 

Below, you will find information on what is needed to apply for each of these. For information on other kinds of Hong Kong visa, as well as postal addresses for visa applications, see this page.



Applicants for student visas should have the following:

  1. Money for the visa application fee (HK$190 for the Visit Visa, HK$100 for the Transit Visa).
  2. Completed visa application form.
  3. One recent passport-size photograph with white or blue background.
  4. Original travel document (with at least six months before expiration date).
  5. Photocopy of their travel document containing personal particulars, date of issue, date of expiry and/or details of any re-entry visa held (if applicable).
  6. For an applicant who is currently staying in Hong Kong, a photocopy of his/her travel document page containing the latest HKSAR arrival stamp/landing slip/extension-of-stay label. A Chinese resident of the Mainland who has not been issued with a travel document may submit a photocopy of his/her People’s Republic of China resident ID card.
  7. A letter of acceptance from the educational institution.
  8. Photocopy of proof of the applicant’s financial support, eg. bank statements, savings account passbooks, tax receipts and (if the sponsor is the educational institution) salary slips.

Where a document is not in Chinese or English, it must be accompanied by a Chinese or English translation; this translation must be certified as accurate by a certified translator or translation company.


The visa is valid for the normal duration of the student’s study program, up to a maximum period of six years upon entry, or the expiration date of the travel document held, whichever is shorter.

Can I extend my stay on this visa?

Yes, it can be extended on a yearly basis or in accordance with the duration of their studies. The cost of extension is HK$190.

Can I work on this visa?

No, you can’t take up employment, paid or unpaid.


Similar Posts:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>