How do I open a Taobao account?
Getting a Taobao account set up can be tricky, and some level of Chinese (even if it’s just the ability to recognize certain common terms on a form) will be a great help. You may also encounter one or two apparent barriers, but persevere and seek help if you can’t work it out yourself. Ultimately, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to get a Taobao account.
1. Start the process by going to the Taobao home page (www.taobao.com). It looks like this.
2. Click the link at the top-left of the image above (indicated by the red box) and open the registration page.
3. Fill out your username/password/reconfirm password/Captcha code. Click the orange button.
4. Next, enter your Chinese mobile phone number. This is required in China as a means of verification, but your mobile number is also used as a way of ensuring secure purchasing. When you buy something, you can receive an SMS with a verification code which you’ll then enter to confirm that you did indeed want to purchase that item.
5. Enter your number and click “submit.”
6. After a few seconds, a message will be sent to your phone containing a six-digit verification code. A box will pop up prompting you to enter the six-digit number sent as verification before you can proceed.
7. Type in the verification code and click “验证.” A new page will open (see below) declaring that you have successfully opened your Taobao account.
Useful Chinese words and phrases
|淘宝||táo bǎo||China’s leading e-Commerce website|
|手机||shǒu jī||mobile phone|