» Visas » Visas »

Medical examinations for work visas in China

Photo by Tomáš Vendiš

If you want to stay in China for longer than one year on a work visa – or longer than six months on an X1 student visa – you must pass an official health check.

You might wonder “Why do I need a health examination to live in China?”, but for most people the examination itself is usually a formality. Although a number of tests are carried out and certain issues may be flagged up (anecdotal evidence suggests many foreigners are found to have a “fatty liver”), it’s widely suspected that the whole exercise is really aimed at isolating applicants carrying contagious conditions such as HIV (and other contagious STDs) and hepatitis B and C. If you’re found to have any of those, your prospects for getting a visa are probably dim - although there may still be hope for those with hepatitis B and those who have HIV.


The examination

The standard health examination involves the following: 

  • A small blood test to rule out HIV, hepatitis and syphilis
  • An ultrasound scan to check for diseases in internal organs
  • An X-ray for tuberculosis
  • An ear, nose and throat exam
  • An electrocardiogram (ECG) check to rule out heart disease
  • A skin check for contagious skin diseases
  • A blood pressure check
  • A lymph node check
  • Confirmation of your height and weight
  • Urine, feces and phlegm may also be checked in special – and rare – circumstances

The health check can be performed in your country of origin or within 30 days of your arrival in China, although the Chinese government may not accept health checks from foreign hospitals as valid, and may ask you to either have the report verified at a Chinese hospital or go through the examination again within the PRC. 


Getting the test in your own country

If you want to be checked in your own country, you will need to go to your nearest Chinese government-approved hospital, clinic or medical center (call ahead to see whether they can perform examinations for Chinese visa applications; your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate may also be able to point you in the right direction) and ensure that the following steps are followed:

  1. Do not eat or drink anything the morning before undergoing the health check. Doing so will invalidate the findings.
  2. Print off a copy of the Chinese government’s BG-14 form, AIDS report form and syphilis report form, and take them with you to the examination. Your employer or university should be able to get digital copies of the forms from their local labor administration office.
  3. Make sure your physician performs all of the tests to fit the criteria outlined in the BG-14; you may need to specifically ask for AIDS and syphilis tests. 
  4. The physician must record and stamp all of his or her findings on the BG-14. 
  5. The stamp must show name and address of the hospital or clinic, and needs to be on every page of the BG-14, as well as the lab reports. 
  6. If you test negative for tuberculosis, ask the doctor to write “No sign of tuberculosis evident” in the box for the chest X-ray exam. 
  7. Ask for the physician to give you the original report, not just a photocopy, as well as the original chest X-ray and the ECG reports. The government will request the original X-ray, and possibly the other original documents; photocopies will not be enough.
  8. Make copies of all reports and documents for your records and keep them somewhere safe.


Getting the test in China

If you’re undergoing the health check in China, your company or university may make the booking for you; check with them first. Also make sure you find out who will pay the examination fees; many foreigners pay in cash after the examination, then get the money back from their company later. If this is the case you will need to ask the clinic for a fāpiào (发票) , an official invoice or receipt, when you pay. 

For a list of official clinics in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, and their prices, see ‘The Clinics’, below. Check with the clinics directly to see if they require you to bring documentation such as a passport or photographs. Also, take the address of your company, as some hospitals may offer to deliver the documents to you at an additional charge, rather than making you pick them up at a later date.


Things to consider

If you fail the examination, your visa application may be rejected – particularly if you failed the checks for contagious diseases, though eating breakfast or even drinking water the morning before the test can invalidate the results, so resist that bowl of cornflakes! But do take along a snack or something so you can eat once you’re done (you may want to leave the blood test until last for that reason, especially if you tend to feel dizzy after giving blood).

If your centre doesn’t need a reservation (call to check), then it’s a good idea to get there in time for the opening hours – queues can be a real pain, especially if you’re in a major city like Beijing. And especially especially when you haven’t had breakfast…

Wear clothing that easily allows access to your inner elbow (for the blood test), your abdomen (for the ultrasound) and your ankles and wrists (for the ECG test). If you’re not wearing stacked or high heels, the height test may be performed while you wear your shoes, which also speeds things up a little.

In most cases, applicants simply find the whole process bizarre. However, in some cases applicants – particularly female applicants – may find the process embarrassing, even unsettling: some Chinese hospitals afford little privacy while examinations are conducted, while other facilities in the country fall short of the standard many foreigners expect in terms of hygiene (although the needles used in the blood tests should all be perfectly safe). Women should seek advice from other women who have taken the examination on what to wear to avoid discomfort. There’s no need to be scared: the examination is not unsafe. We’re simply alerting you to be prepared.  


Approved clinics in China

Below are the contact details and prices for the official expat clinics of Beijing, Guangzhou and Shanghai. For clinics in other cities and provinces, contact your employer or university.


In Beijing (no reservation required)

Haidian Clinic of Beijing International Travel Healthcare Center, No.10 Dezheng Lu, Haidian district
Contact: 010-8240-3675; www.visawhy.com/HealthCheck.html
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 am-11 am 
Fees: 650 yuan; 400 yuan (students). Additional fees, such as delivery fees, may apply.
Transportation: Get off at the Xi’erqi subway station, Line 13. A taxi from the station to the clinic costs around 15 yuan. 


In Guangzhou (reservation required)

Guangdong International Travel Healthcare Center, No.207 Longkou Xilu, Tianhe district
Contact: 020-8526-2033, 020-8753-7322, 020-8754-7129; fax: 020-8754-8649; www.gdwbzx.com
Hours: Mon-Sat 8 am-12 noon, 1 pm-4 pm  
Fees: 593 yuan; 583 yuan (students). Additional fees, such as delivery fees, may apply.


In Shanghai (reservation required)

Shanghai International Travel Healthcare Center, 15 Jinbang Lu, Changning district
Contact: 021-6268-6171 (main line); 021-6268-8851 (physical examination for foreigners); 021-6268-5072 (vaccination for foreigners); fax: 021-6268-3088; www.sithc.com
Hours: No specific hours; make an appointment first.
Fees: 640 yuan; 470 yuan (students). Additional fees, such as delivery fees, may apply.


In Shenzhen (no reservation required)

Shenzhen International Travel Healthcare Center, F3, Shenzhen Kou’an Hospital, inside Huanggang Kou’an Residence Zone, Binghe Dadao, Futian district 
Contact: 0755-8377-4013 (physical examination for foreigners); 0755-8399-4007 (vaccination); 0755-8377-4098 (general physical examination); www.szkah.com
Working hours: Mon-Fri, 8:30 am-11 am, 2:30 pm-5 pm
Fee: 480 yuan. 


Useful Chinese words and phrases

体检 tǐ jiǎn  Health check, medical check
指定医院 zhǐ dìng yī yuàn Appointed hospital
出入境检验检疫局 chū rù jìng jiǎn yàn jiǎn yì jú Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau
发票 fāpiào Official invoice or receipt suitable for business expense forms


Similar Posts:

100 Responses to Medical examinations for work visas in China

  • Hi guys, hope the thread is still open, I’m wondering if I can use a medical certificate from a certified Chinese hospital to apply for a work visa for china from the uk. If so, how long would that certificate be valid? I am in China at the moment but will return to the uk for a month and unfortunately will need to restart the visa process with a new passport, the old one will soon be out of date. Any help is much appreciated!

  • Hi I have a position starting in China in a few weeks, its all very exciting :) I completed the full medical in england November 2014 with no problems, will the embassy accept this for the temporary z visa, or will I have to get another one, also I have a basic disclosure check, is it valid, or do I need an acro too :) any help would save time thanks :)

  • hello friend,

    i have a gallstone in my gallbladder. Can this be hindrance on applying for a L-visa? I am applying for a double entry.

    thanks and god bless

  • What about chlamydia? Will you still be able to obtain a work permit? What other STDs / contagious diseases will void your application for work permit? The job is in financial sector with a multinational company.

  • Hi one stop i have under go appendictomy will it affect my visa z application in china? Waiting for your reply. Thank you.

  • Can someone tell me if a HBV carrier can still be issued with a work permit under the current regulation to work in China ?



  • I have received acceptance communication for admission at a Chinese University. However I am HIV positive although I have not had any health complications apart from the status. Would I be refused a students visa on account of being HIV positive or it will take a lot more than that to consider myself out. I have been restless about the thought of losing this grand opportunity.

  • i have T wave changes when i did ECG.. will i be able to ge residence permit in china as a student :(

  • Hi,

    My visa is up for renewal in December. However, I am an alcoholic and relapsed a couple of months ago. I returned to my home country a month ago and have recovered. I have not drank since and want to return to work. My employer has been very understanding and is willing to take me back. However,, my bloods are still not perfect (though not too far off – in another few weeks they should be completely normal, according to my doctor)

    My question is: Will they renew my visa, having had this problem and slightly abnormal liver blood function? The last time I heard from my employer they said they were ‘waiting to hear from Shanghai’ , which I didn’t understand as I don’t work in Shanghai. I work in a nearby city, so my visa and residence permit would have been issued there. That is why I assume the issue is related to the visa renewal.

    I’m very worried and confused!

  • Hi

    I want to apply for Z visa.I had an active tb 11 months back. I took a course for 9 months and doctor advised my tb must have been cured. He also told me there is not test to validate whether tb is cured. My xray is not clear because of lungs skin thickening. In ultrasound scan ,it still shows some 5 ml fluid in my lungs.Could you please guide what procedure and tests, I need to do to secure the visa.

  • Hello

    I am supposed to stay in China for four months. But I have syphilis Reactive (positive) test results. Please advise if I can be allowed in China for this duration or not.

  • Can you please assist with my concern. I’ve been taking depression medication for several years now. I am prone to getting depression when not on the medication. I work in a bank with lots of other people and clients and am fine. The medication makes everything fine. I’m not bi-polar, schizophrenia or have any severe mental issues. My question is, will I be denied a Z-visa (work visa) for being diagnosed with depression and taking medication for it.

    • The medical examinations for Z Visas only test for communicable diseases – therefore depression is obviously not counted in their tests.

      However, we would strongly advise you to check that your preferred medication is both accepted and available in China, and that when you come over you bring a good supply, in case you have trouble finding a source immediately upon arriving. Depending on where in China you live, you may find the mental healthcare less accommodating than in your home country and it could take you a while to find a doctor who’ll prescribe what you need. We suggest getting signed (and, if possible) stamped notification from your healthcare professional stating recommended medication and doses (and with a translation to Chinese, of course) so you can show it to medical practitioners in China.

      It may also be a good idea to make an extra effort to build up a network of friends as soon as you arrive in the country, so that you have a reliable support network if your depression causes you issues out here.

      We hope that everything goes well with your visit to China and that you enjoy your time here!

  • Hi , could you please provide the list of health checkup centres authoritiesd by China in India for Z visa .


  • Can you or anyone tell me what’s if a person got herpes while in China. I have my visa renewal coming up and worried it may show in my blood test. Anyone who had a similar situation and got the working visa?

  • hello,
    please i have a student x1 visa but i’m scared of being refused entry into china since i still test positive for syphilis after treatment

  • Hi there,
    I’m changing jobs starting in September here in China. My current job is in Chongqing, but my new job is at a company based in Shenzhen, although I’ll be working at a satellite office in Chongqing. Last month I competed my health check at an approved facility in Chongqing, and sent it with my other documents to my new company’s head office in Shenzhen. They told me they’re not sure if I need to do another health check in Shenzhen, or if my health certificate from Chongqing is valid enough. I’m still waiting for their feedback, do you know if I’ll need to go to Shenzhen? Thanks~

    • Sorry, by ‘approved facility’ I meant the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau in Chongqing.

    • Hi Julia. A health certificate issued by the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau in Chongqing is officially valid across different provinces and your new company should be allowed to trust it. 

      But true enough, in rare cases some companies in Shenzhen will doubt the validity of health certificates and reports from other provinces and cities, and will indeed tell their employees to take a second health check at a hospital they trust. If they do insist, employees usually have no choice but do it again, regardless of whether it is necessary or not.

      Regardless, do please check the expiration date of your certificate first, as a health certificate is usually valid for six months. If it expires, you will definitely need a new one, regardless of its area of origin.

      Good luck!

  • Hi,
    I am coming to China next month. I have got scholarship from Chinese government to study MBA.But I am suffering from VITILIGO.
    So, I am worried whether I will pass my physical examination when I arrive in China.
    And what about my medical insurance.
    Will they do my insurance?

    • Hi Ali. There is no need to worry about the medical exam.Vitiligo is not contagious and it won’t affect your application for a residence permit at all. As for the insurance question, every full-time student should be covered by medical insurance, which is generally registered by the medical insurance office of your school when you go through admission formalities. We wish you good health!

      • Hi guys, even I am suffering with vitiligo , can somebody who has vitiligo and successfully got the visa please post it here . I am little worried , I am applying for z work permit visa from my employer and I will be working in china for couple of years .

        do I need to provide this information in any of the forms for my visa application ? or I can simple ignore this .

        waiting for quick response

        • Hi One stop ,

          I have seen ur comment for nick’s post as this

          “Hi Nick. Don’t worry! The examination is only to check for contagious and severe illnesses. Vitiligo should not cause any issues whatsoever. The doctors performing the examination will most likely recognise and ignore the condition as soon as they see it, but if you want to be sure you could print out the Chinese characters: 本人患有白癜风,非传染性疾病,恳请予以批准。

          This means “My skin condition is vitiligo. It is not a contagious disease. Please do not be concerned.”

          Showing this text will almost certainly not be necessary, but you may wish to bring the text along if you are worried. Good luck with your studies; we hope you enjoy your time in China!

          do I need to write down this information on my physical examination form ? or can I simply ignore this . waiting for ur reply

          • Hi Sandeep, we are sorry to hear about your illness. The good news is that you don’t have to worry about whether it will affect your visa application – you don’t need to mention it whatsoever, and it will not be regarded as important on any official medical examinations. Good luck with your application!

      • hi one stop,

        thanks for your advice , I finally got the z visa and I am travelling on oct 12 and will be arriving in shanghai . my employer arranged to take again medical test in shanghai . is it fine again ? I mean doctors nor the embassy wont create any problem , only xray and ecg person will get to know about my vitiligo . other than that no one can able to judge whether I have vitiligo or not .

        thanks a lot for your reply .

  • I read that you must have a medical check for your school to begin the z visa process, to get the letter of invitation started. Is this true, or can it be done when I arrive? This is for Beijing.

  • Do I need to complete a medical examination if I am going to be working in China for 6 months? My work visa was granted in my home country but it seems now that I’m in China (I’ve already started working) my agent has said that I need to undergo a medical examination.
    Can you confirm this?

  • Dear Sir or Madam,

    I am expecting my HIV test result in my home country within the next days. In case of a positive result I would like to know how my student visa (X1 for 6 months) would be affected. Would I be denied Entry? Will the Chinese University exmatriculate me?

    Do I need to take a health check in China in the first place, since my stay will be less than 6 months?

    All questions below only refer to working visas so I hope you can answer my questions.

    Thank you for your time.
    Best Regards

    • Hi Felix. Even though your stay is less than 180 days, you will still need a health certificate to get the X1 Visa and residence permit (it is not required for an X2 visa). 

      China no longer denies entry for HIV carriers or patients. Only those that have contagious diseases that endanger the public health will be refused, and HIV is not among their number. So according to Chinese law there should be nothing stopping you from getting your Chinese visa and the university enrolling you, even if your test comes back positive.

      However, before you get too excited, we should give you a word of warning: although this is what the law says, there is no solid guarantee that everything will be fine. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of prejudice against HIV-positive people in China, and some Chinese people will avoid contact with them as much as possible. Your school may also refuse admission if you have a HIV-positive status, and this decision is made at the discretion of the admission office of the university. 

      This is technically illegal for most majors, though it is lawful for a university to deny an HIV-positive student access to some majors that involve blood-related work, medical surgery, the food industry or child care. However, even if the university acts illegally, it would be an incredibly hard task to bring them to account from abroad.

      For a more detailed list of which majors do not accept HIV-positive students, click here; the list is for those with hepatitis B, but it also applies to HIV-positive people. 

      We hope that your result reads negative and wish you good luck with your application!

  • Hi… I am Wangyin.. I got scholarship to study in china this september. when I done medical check up. Found positive Syphilis. I have treatment. What should I do??? I already issuing Visa X and now waiting going to china. I am affraid China entry – exit administration public security bureau not give me health certificate for resident permit and ask me leaving china immidiately.

    • Hi Wangyin, we are sorry to hear about your illness. China only denies visas to those who suffer from severe mental health problems and infectious tuberculosis (or other infectious diseases that could cause severe damage to public health). Chinese laws do not consider sexually transmitted diseases such as syphilis and HIV to be a factor in this.

      However, this doesn’t mean that you will have no problem obtaining residence permit. Some members of Chinese society still holds prejudices against sexually transmitted diseases; as a result, some schools may even ask people to get treated and cured before they can go on campus to study, regardless of what the law says.

      We are not saying that you will definitely encounter this problem, but you should be away that it happens occasionally. People in major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen are less likely to be denied a residence permit than in second or third-tier cities. 

      We wish you the best of luck in getting your residence permit!

    • Hi Wangyin! Would you mind telling us the outcome of your situation?

  • Respected Sir,
    I need to know an issue before undergoing medical examination , In past my body was exposed to HCV. And now i am Undecteced in my recent blood reports of Real Time PCR (QUALITATIVE and Quantitative) and in HCV PCR genotyping as well but my will always test positive for antibodies to hep c forever. But you don’t have hep c. I have my all recent blood reports with me. Please guide me what to do in this case.
    I will be very thankful.

    • Hi Ali. Congratulations on being cleared of the virus! If the test can’t detect the virus and only reads the antibodies, you should have no worries about your medical examination. As you know, a negative test for the virus but a positive test for antibodies only proves that you were exposed but now cured (and it should also keep you from potential harm from the HCV virus in future). 

      One small notice is that different hospitals’ test equipments will offer different degrees of definition. Some hospitals may not detect viruses if the quantity of virus is smaller than 1,000 copy/ml, while another may detect virus only if it is smaller than 100 copy/ml. We don’t know which qualitative standard will be used in the hospital where you are going to take the medical examination, but it’s something to be aware of. If the report you have was from the same hospital, then you should have no worries at all. Good luck!

  • Hello,

    I have heard that in many cases a urine sample is taken during the physical. I am wondering what the specific cause for the test is. I have read that it is to test for Kidney function, yet I am wondering if they are also doing a drug test on the urine. Do you know?

    Thank you

    • Hi Jake. The purpose of the urine test is to check your kidney function and urinary system, as well as to check for diabetes. The urine is not used to perform drug tests for visa applications. We hope this answer helps!

  • I had leukemia last year and I’ve completed my chemotherapy and my doctors said I’ve no traces of any other disease, if they do above test I’d have no problems clearing the medicals. But will it be a problem applying in a university for engineering?

    • Hi Pankaj. We’re sorry to hear about your illness, but we’re glad you conquered it. The good news is that you don’t have to worry – a history of leukemia will not affect applications for teaching jobs in a engineering universities, nor should it affect your visa application. The medical exam for visas is for the purposes of ruling out contagious diseases that might affect the public, and obviously leukemia is not one of these. We hope you will get a satisfying job in China and wish you the best of luck.

  • Hi , two years ago they remove my gallbladder on my liver due to gall stones issue. May I ask if my situation will affect getting working visa in hongkong? Thanks

    • Hi Uly. We are sorry to hear about the surgery. Generally speaking, this kind of thing won’t affect your application for a work visa, unless the employer thinks your physical health won’t be enough to meet the physical requirements of the job that you are applying for. We think that you shouldn’t have to worry too much about it. Good luck!

  • Hi. I understand the contagious threat of untreated HIV infection. If a person shows up positive to the HIV test but is on medication with a viral load that is undetectable and are healthy in every other way, would they still be denied a work permit? Even if they were prepared to have the full blood screening to prove their undetectable status? I am sure you are aware that an undetectable status means they are not contagious, shows they are responsible with their medication and have regular blood tests to monitor their health / condition. Realistically, is it possible to have an application approved or is it a complete no no. Thank you. :))

    • Hi Peter, China has now eased the restriction on HIV carriers and patients so that as long as you can get a job offer from a Chinese company, the chance is high that the embassy or consulate will issue the work visa. 

      The problem is despite campaigns against HIV discrimination, many Chinese employers are still reluctant to hire people who have HIV. If your future employer is willing to hire you in the knowledge that you have a HIV infection (they may require you do the medical checkup before you apply for a visa), they can apply for a work permit for you. 

      However, It is down to both the visa officer overseeing your application and the opinions of your boss. It’s not a definite thing in either direction (although if you are teaching children rather than adults, your chances of getting the job/visa diminish rapidly). Wish you the very best of luck in your situation!

  • Hi,I’m in China and applied my Z visa and done my medical exam.doctor said I’m suspected of active tuberculosis and results will confirm after 8 weeks.my visa is already expired and immigration officer told me I have to leave the country in 10 days..I have all documents in my hand now and ready to go back in Philippines and re apply my Z visa..question:will the China embassy in Philippines approved my application??

    • Hi Angelito. You can apply for the Z Visa again once either the possibility of active tuberculosis has been ruled out, or – if the result show that you do have the active tuberculosis – once it has been cured. If you try to apply again before the results come through or while you still have active tuberculosis, your application will be denied. We wish you the very best of luck!

  • Hello,

    I would like to know what are the odds that the Chinese government will accept abroad medical checks? Where can I check if and how the authentication process works?

    I have my medical check-up done in my home country in a public county level hospital.(in the EU), and I am planning to get it authenticated by the Chinese Embassy. After all of this, are there still chances they will want me to do it again in China or can they just give me a health certificate based on this? I would rather save the costs for authenticating but since I have already done it recently it would also seem strange to do it all over again in China, particularly since they need HUGE amount of blood.

    Thank you

    • Hi Andrew. While we think that having the examination certificate notarized by the Chinese embassy should stand you in excellent stead, and that you probably have nothing to worry about, we cannot guarantee that you will definitely not have to undergo another medical check once you arrive in China. Things do seem very positive, however.

      Please note that the examination must have been performed within six months of you handing it in to the visa office or agent – if it is older than that, you will definitely have to go through the check again.

      Regarding the blood samples, although the volume of blood in the human body is restored within 24 hours, it can take four-to-eight weeks to fully regenerate red blood cells. However, the samples taken in the Chinese medical examinations are not too severe. If you want to help the regeneration of red blood cells, we would suggest eating  zinc-heavy foods such as beans, wholegrains, shellfish, red meat or dark-meat poultry; foods that have absorbable iron such as dark-green leafy vegetables and eggs; sources of vitamin B12 like fish, meat, eggs and poultry; and sources of folate like beans, lentils and more dark-green leafy veg.

  • Thanks for the informative site!

    I will soon start my second year working in Shanghai. Unfortunately, I had to leave for the summer before I could renew my residency permit, and it will expire while I’m away. I have all my paperwork in order to get a new visa to enter and then go get the residency permit again, but will I have to get the health check again? I looked at the report they supplied, but I don’t see an expiration date or any other indicator in that regard.

    Thanks for your response.

    • Hi GA. The validity of the health certificate is six months. If it is still valid, you can still use it to apply for the new visa. If the checkup was performed more than six months ago, then you will need to go through it again. Good luck – we hope you have a nice break!

  • Sorry its me again, I had the question which involved scar on the lungs and previous history tuberculosis,8 years ago, which is cured after taking medication for 9 months. I was about to get my medical done from chinese approved hospital. Just want to confirm they could tell by just looking at the xray that my tuberculosis is not an active disease. This is important since I have to lodge my visa as soon as possible, have to land in china before 20th of july. So please let me know if they could tell by just by looking at my xray. That its cured or not.

    • Hi Rafae. The doctor should be able to tell whether it your tuberculosis is active or not by reading the X-ray, so you don’t have to worry. If the doctor asks about your previous medical history, just tell him/her that you had tuberculosis eight years ago and it has been cured. We wish you the best of luck with your medical examination and visa application!

  • Hello, I have been study in china and just graduated this year and applying a new job. I had my health certificate from the perivious check and the date of the certificate is from 2014, March. How long can health certificate can valid? Can I use it to apply to my Z visa?

    • Hi Miya. Each health certificate is only valid for six months. This means that your health certificate is not longer valid, and you will need to undergo another health examination in order to apply for your new Z Visa. Thanks for writing in! 

  • Can a person get a Chinese study visa if I have hepatitis C?

  • Hi,

    I have recently been accepted to a teaching position in China. However, my future employer is telling me that they cannot start the application process unless they have proof that I am healthy first. Now they’re asking me to undertake a physical but aren’t really telling me what it entails. My best guess is a test similar to what is discussed on this page, but I’m really not sure.

    My question: is this a common practice among employers in China? And, if so, do they want a simple note that says “I am healthy” from a doctor or am I required to do a medical similar to that mentioned here?

    Thanks in advance.

    • Hi Connor. Medical checkups are a standard requirement for anyone who plans to stay in China for more than 180 days, and can be done in your home country or when you arrive in China. Since your future employer requires you to undergo a medical examination in your home country, you can simply follow the guide above. A note to say that you are healthy will not prove anything concerns your health status.

      Good luck with your new job!

  • Hi there,

    I am trying to get my visa sorted for a job in Shenzhen. When I was admitted to a position 2 years ago in Changsha I only had to show the front page of a medical exam form (which was sent to me by the school) before being able to apply for my visa, so no doctor visit was necessary. Now for Shenzhen two separate jobs are asking for a health certificate from my GP. They said the GP should know what this is but won’t give me any other information regarding it or any sample images of what they’re expecting. And when I try researching for “health certificate” nothing specific comes up. Do you know what I should be asking for at the GP and what the school may be requiring? I hear Shenzhen is a bit stricter with their visa requirements at any rate.


    • Hi Rebecca. We’ve looked into this and it is indeed true that Shenzhen has stricter requirements on visa applications, as in many other cities the front page of a medical exam form will be enough for the purposes of the authorities.

      The health certificate is issued by your local Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, and if you pass the medical check-up at your nearest Chinese International Travel Healthcare Center (so long as it is one that is officially endorsed by the bureau) you will be given the certificate.

      It seems that you did the medical check-up for your previous job in your home country. Usually you would take the medical exam form to the center to get it verified and have a new health certificate issued. However, as the exam was performed two years ago it will be out of date for official purposes and you should have a new check-up performed at your local center instead, as per the article above.

  • Hello. I did my medical checkup, and the doctor found that I have a fatty, alcoholic liver, but I don’t drink. Furthermore, I have an inflated spleen. Will I be denied a Chinese visa for a High School teaching position?

    • Hi Hart. We are sorry to hear about your test results. The good news is that this will not affect your application for a high school teaching position. Wish you the best of luck and hope that your condition improves soon.

  • hello , i want to inquire about this situation I am facing. I am on a student visa and have a residence permit expiring next month and same is the case with my wife (she is not a student but accompanying me), now I want to extend visa for both of us I am sure about myself that I do not need a medical examination again for extension but confused about my wife. Does she need the medical examination again for extension of the residency permit or it will be like my extension without medical?looking forward to your viewpoint

    • Hi Abbot. Neither of you should require medical examinations to extend your residency permits, regardless of which visas you are using. Do you mind telling us what kind of visa your wife is using?

  • Dear sir
    I am applying for z visa, I have post gradation diploma through distance education. Is this gonna be accepted? I’m 25 years old, have little more than 2 years of experience in business management. My job offer is in the same field.

    • Hi Sam. If your employer has looked at your educational and work history, they will most likely have calculated whether or not you can acquire a Z Visa. In any case, it sounds like you hit the requirements: two years of relevant work experience, 25 years old, with a Bachelor’s degree, and also a post-grad diploma in (what we assume is) a relevant disipline. Assuming you pass the medical check, we can’t see any reason why you would have any problems at all. Good luck with your new job!

  • hello
    i have got job in china as English Teacher, however i have hepatitis B and had been taking HPV ,
    and the doctor said i m ok and i dont need to worry about it,
    but my problem is can it cost me of not getting the z working visa …….. when i came to china .
    help i m from south africa

    • Hi Prince. The good news is that hepatitis B should not get in the way of your teaching job, so long as you are not teaching children or kindergarten classes – if you are teaching adults it is illegal for you to be refused a job because of hepatitis B. The bad news is that regardless of whether the person has a Z Visa, some schools will break the law and not hire people with hepatitis B anyway. Unfortunately, there is probably nothing you can do in such a situation, other than try to find a job at a different school.

      Basically, we would caution you to expect the worst and prepare for the best. For more information on hepatitis B and jobs, see this article.

  • Hi. I’ve been arranging the medical tests for securing a work visa in China, but I have some confusion about the hepatitis aspect of the blood test. Is it for a specific strain of hepatitis or for all strains generally?

    • Hi Miles. The tests specifically look out for hepatitis B and C, as these are the ones that most concern the authorities.

  • Hi!
    I saw your previous posts. Is it like if I am suffering from non-communicable disease than it is no problem in china? I want to know what kind of disease prevents in entering china? I am also suffering from non-communicable disease leukoderma. Would it create a problem in China? I am talking about all aspects like university, residence etc

    • Hi Mohit. If you want to study in China for more than six months (or work in China on a Work Visa for any period of time) then you do indeed need to pass a medical examination. However these examinations are purely to test for contagious diseases (in which case the visa will be refused on the basis that allowing the person to stay in the country would endanger the public health) or chronic and dangerous illnesses that might affect their ability to perform their job/rol (in which case the visa may be refused becaue it would be silly to give it to someone who physically cannot do the job, or whose illness might render him or her dangerous while performing the job/role).

      Because leukoderma is not communicable, and because it is not in any going to affect your ability to study in China, you should have no problem getting the visa. As for university, they should treat you just like every other student, regardless of the leukoderma. It should not affect your residence, your health insurance or anything else. 

      We hope you have a wonderful time at university!

  • Hi.
    I have a psoriasis. I want to study medicine in China. Would it be problem during health insurance and admission?

    • Hi Hari. We are sorry you are troubled with this disease and we hope you are well at the moment. The good news is that your condition will not affect your application to study medicine in China., so don’t worry about whether you will be admitted or not on that count. You should be treated with the same attitude as all the other students. Also, once you are admitted you should be covered by the health insurance provided by your school. Good luck!

  • Hello, I am applying for a work visa and had the medical check last week in Shenzhen. As far as I know I am healthy and have no contagious diseases of any kind. However, due to an unfortunate incident two years back, my right eye has no sight. When we did the eye test I wasn’t able to use that eye and tell the woman whether the letters were up, down, etc. Now I am very worried that this will block me from getting the Z visa. What do you think?

    • Hi David. We’re sorry to hear about the incident and the trouble it has brought you. Whether it will affect your visa depends on what kind of job your future employer is offering you. If the job doesn’t require precise eye-hand co-ordination or fine handiwork, such as surgery, operating machines, or watch-making then such an injury shouldn’t affect your visa.

      However, if your work does demand perfect eyesight, your application could be affected. Careers whose applications may be affected by the loss of sight in one eye include those in engineering, medicine, applied physics, applied chemistry, biological technology, marine science or technology, geology and environmental sciences. Of course, this depends on exactly what the job requires. Without knowing what job you have been offered, we cannot give you an exact answer, but we wish you the best of luck in your application for a work visa.

  • I have vitiligo. It is a non-contagious disease. I want to study my engineering in china so, would it be a problem in China?

    • Hi Nick. Don’t worry! The examination is only to check for contagious and severe illnesses. Vitiligo should not cause any issues whatsoever. The doctors performing the examination will most likely recognise and ignore the condition as soon as they see it, but if you want to be sure you could print out the Chinese characters: 本人患有白癜风,非传染性疾病,恳请予以批准。

      This means “My skin condition is vitiligo. It is not a contagious disease. Please do not be concerned.”

      Showing this text will almost certainly not be necessary, but you may wish to bring the text along if you are worried. Good luck with your studies; we hope you enjoy your time in China!

  • Hello,

    I was offered an English teaching position for an American company in Shanghai. I am hiv + and will need a temporary residence since my contract would be for 12-15 months. Will I be denied a temporary residence visa after my health check in China? Should I disclose my status now to my potential employer? Does the employer have any say when they are deciding to grant me the temporary residence visa? If the ban was lifted, why is an HIV test necessary? Thanks!!

    • Hi Alex. We’re sorry to hear about your situation; unfortunately, how this will conclude is difficult to say at this point. If you read this article you will see that while the law states that being HIV positive should never be a barrier to getting a job, the reality is that HIV-positive people may find themselves being refused visas or work because of their medical status. 

      Whether or not you will be denied a visa (or lose your job) is entirely down to both the visa officer overseeing your application and the opinions of your boss. It’s not a definite thing in either direction (although if you are teaching children rather than adults your chances of getting the job/visa diminish rapidly). We’re sorry we can’t be of more help, and wish you the very best of luck in your situation!

    • Hi Alex,
      Would you mind telling me what the final outcome was? Were you denied employment or the visa because of your status?

  • Hello there,

    I am writing to you to clarify some questions I have.

    I have read that being positive on an HIV test can be a problem if a person want to apply for a work visa. If so, how can it be legal that a country forbid the access of an HIV person? Is it against human rights?!

    Thanks for your help! ;)

    • Hi Guigui. We hope you are well. Officially the Chinese government says that being HIV positive should not stop someone from getting work or a work visa in China but realistically there is every possibility that a company may try to come up with another reason not to hire someone who turns out to be HIV positive. It is technically possible to pursue a private court case against a business that refuses to hire someone based on their medical condition, but realistically that would take a long, long time to execute, cost a lot of money and would be very difficult to win.

      This doesn’t mean that someone who is HIV positive CANNOT get a job, just that they have more obstacles in their path than someone without the condition.

      We don’t know your own situation, but we wish you the very best.

  • From reading all of these informations, it appears that they only medical issues that will prevent securing a visa are contagious diseases. is that correct?

    • Hi James. Mostly, yes – contagious diseases are the primary concern for medical checks. However, there may be some cases in which the medical check results would stop you from getting a job. For example, if you had a serious heart condition and your job required a strongh heart, the medical results might stop you from getting the job. We hope that whatever your case is, your medical test comes out well.

  • Dear concerned,

    I had tuberculosis 8 years ago took medication for 9 months until i was cured. Now only thing i have is the scar on tje lungs that will show everytime I get an xray. I wanted to know if i was legable for the chinese visa? Please let me know.

    • Hi Rafae. If you have been cured of tuberculosis then this should not be a problem – the doctors only care about whether the disease is present and active, not about your previous medical history. It should not get in the way of getting a Chinese visa.

      We wish you the very best and hope you enjoy China!

  • Hi! I have a serious scoliosis ( curvature of the spine) which is noticeable during medical check and a t X-ray. Can my condition prevent me from getting work permit in China? Would appreciate your help!

    • Hi Esperanzago! We replied to this question here, and here’s what we said:

      “Don’t worry – the X-Ray in the medical check is just to check for tuberculosis and/or serious heart disease. Scoliosis should not be a problem. Good luck with your new job!”

      We wish you the very best with your job.

  • I have a job to go to in china but i can not afford the expence for this. Where near milton keynes can i get a medical examination cheap?

    • Hi Thomas. You have to go to a hospital or medical center that is approved by Chinese government, and can perform examinations for Chinese visa applications.

      Because One-Stop operates from outside China we are unable to find out this information for you, sorry. You could ask your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate for their suggestions on which hospitals or clinics are eligible to perform the examination.

      Alternatively, if your company agrees to it, you may be able to enter China, and get the health check within 30 days of arrival; this may make things easier.

  • I am applying for z visa and have a teaching post in China. My husband has a kidney disease (polycystic) and is on meds for this – he is well though. Will this impede his chances of gaining visa and getting a job? Also if he is not offered a job can he stay in China with this condition? The polycystic kidneys will show up on the ultrasound :(

    • Hi Kelly. We’re sorry to hear about your husband’s condition. There is some good news, however – because your husband’s condition is not contagious, it should not affect his applications for any kind of visas. He will still need to go in for a medical examination if he gets a student or work visa, but in general this should not prove problematic.

      Of course, China being China nothing is ever concrete or certain, so it’s best to prepare yourself for the worst, just to be on the safe side.

      If he doesn’t get a job, he could apply for a Tourist Visa, aka L Visa, which would let him in the country without a medical examination, but only for a limited period. There are also special tourist visas for Americans and Canadians.

      A better idea might be to wait until you get your work visa, then apply for an S1 Visa, which will allow him to stay in China to visit you for more than 180 days, although it also requires a medical examination; also he cannot work on this visa.

      We wish you both the best of luck! If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

  • Hey,
    I’m looking to secure a Z-visa and am working directly with the school I will teach in. I was worried when I saw that the exam requires the ECG because the ECG will show that I have an irregular sized heart. This is always flagged when I have ECG’s as something I should have checked out,but years ago I took a stress test and other tests to rule out that it was a real issue and I was told my heart shape is simply unique to me.
    I don’t mind having the ECG done, but i’m concerned if the ECG shows a flag that I have an irregular heart, they will either require follow-up or deny my application. I’m looking to go JULY 1st and all of these issues take time etc. etc. Do you have any insight into this?
    I am clean of any diseases, i.e. hep, std, heart disease, TB..so other than that my issues are simply low vitamin D and the heart issue.

    • Hi Donny. You shouldn’t worry about this, especially if you can provide proof from your doctor that your heart is functioning normally. Note, however, that Chinese businesses will often not trust medical reports from abroad, so you may need to get something from the Chinese hospital where you get your health checkup. The doctors will usually ask you to do a follow-up check if they find anything unusual, but so long as that test comes up clear (which it should do, judging by your stated health) then you shouldn’t have any problems. Best of luck, and we hope you enjoy your new job!

  • Hi friends,

    I have been offered to work in my company’s Chinese division for one year. I have to apply for Z-Visa. I know that i have Hepatitis B positive. But when i went for quantitative tests, my doctor told it is in very very negligible percentage, so i need not worry of it.

    By the way i came to know Hepatitis B is a hurdle in getting Z-Visa. But also there are information that it will not be an issue if my liver function test is ok and i am not working in food or medical industry etccc…

    Can you please clarify… Please….

    Thanks a lot


    • Hi Saravanan. We’re sorry to hear about your hepatitis B status. The good news is that if your liver is functioning normally and you are not trying to get employment in one of the restricted areas then you shouldn’t have any problems getting your Z-Visa.

      Of course, things are not always so simple in China, so you should prepare yourself for the worst. But if your potential employer is abiding by the laws of the country you should not have any problems.

      You can find out more about hepatitis B and work visas here. We wish you the very best of luck for a speedy and easy resolution!

  • I will be applying for Z visa from America. Is it correct to say I can do the health check after I am in China? That is to say, a health check is not necessary to apply for a Z visa, but is necessary once I convert the Z visa to a residence permit in China?

    • Hi Cedric. Yes, it is possible for you to do a health check in China rather than in your home country, although this will probably be at the discretion of your company or visa agent. Talk to them about how to proceed, because they will most likely want you to do things in a particular order, and they may not allow for foreign health checks (also, it’s far from unknown for people to get a foreign health check and then have to get another one in China because the documents are not accepted, so make sure you understand exactly what is needed for your new company if they ask you to get checked in your own country).

    • Think you have to do it before you can get the visa in America.

  • Please can you tell me where I can go in the UK to get a medical for a Chinese work visa.
    I live in York, UK

    • Hi Robert. It’s difficult for the One Stop team to get this information as we are based in China. As mentioned above, you should try calling your nearest Chinese embassy or consulate (or possibly the Chinese visa service center in Manchester) to ask if they can identify a suitable hospital.

      Failing that, we would suggest getting your employer to email the forms to you so that you can print them out and take them to your local GP, who may be able to suggest a hospital or clinic that can help you out. You could also call up large nearby hospitals such as The York Hospital or Leeds General Infirmary and see if they offer the tests. And, of course, private clinics and hospitals may be able to help you out, though obviously they will cost more money.

      Hopefully one of our readers is from York and will be able to help you out with more detailed information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>