Other scholarships for foreign students in China
Opportunities for foreign students to get scholarships in China are more numerous than you might think. Below you’ll find brief summaries of local government scholarships, British Council scholarships, university scholarships and enterprise scholarships; for information on other scholarship systems, see the main scholarships page.
Chinese local government scholarships
The Chinese local government scholarship is sponsored by a number of provincial, municipal and autonomous regional governments across China in order to support foreign students who come to study in their higher education institutions.
They have different requirements and application procedures. Students who obtained an Admission Letter from a Chinese higher education institution should go here to see whether scholarships are available for their location and institution.
British Council China scholarship
At the time of writing, this was the only available foreign government scholarship in China.
Subjects covered: All.
Study programs: For one-year programs with tuition fees of 30,000 yuan per year or less. Non-degree programs also apply. Search the available programs here.
Apply to: China Scholarship Council; British council will interview candidates in final selection stage.
Time of application: Was April 28 in 2014; future details pending.
- Be a UK citizen (British passport holders, or Irish passport holders that are Northern Ireland domiciled).
- Enrolled at a UK institution at the point of application, or a recent graduate applying within one year of graduation date.
- Be at least 18 years old.
Items covered by scholarship:
- Tuition fees.
- Monthly living stipend.
- Medical insurance.
For more details go here.
University scholarships are provided by a number of individual universities in China to reward their top students. Each university has different requirements and application procedures. For a list of universities offering scholarships, go here.
Color Root (Hubei) Scholarship and Runhe Scholarship
At the time of writing, these were the only available enterprise scholarships in China.
Study programs: Two-year, English-taught Master’s in Dyeing and Finishing Engineering at Wuhan Textile University.
Apply to: China Scholarship Council.
Time of application: Was before May 30 in 2014; future details are pending.
- Be a citizen of Bangladesh, Pakistan, or India and be in good health.
- Have a bachelor’s degree and be under age 35.
- Graduate from majors such as Dyeing and Finishing Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Textile Engineering, and similar.
- Have a good command of English language.
Items covered by scholarship:
- Fee for physical examination and residence permit application.
- A monthly living allowance.
- On-campus dormitory accommodation.
- Comprehensive medical insurance.
- One-off round trip international air tickets.
- Are there Chinese scholarships for foreign students?
- Chinese government scholarships for foreign students
- Confucius Institute scholarships for foreign students in China
- Can I go to university or get a scholarship in China if I have hepatitis B?
- Hanban’s “Chinese Bridge” Chinese language competitions